Wednesday, April 6, 2011

This Is The Part Where You Find Out Who You Are

Photo form weheartit.com

Life is full of so many setbacks, so many challenges. How are we to know which path to take? How to overcome a fear? How to face these challenges head on?

One thing I have slowly come to realize is that we do not always know the answers, and that sometimes we have to fail before we can succeed.

I have a yoga teacher who says, "the strongest people are those who surrender."  It took me some time before I fully understood this, well at least understood in my own mind and way.  Those who can admit to themselves that they can not do something are incredibly strong.  Most of the time we put up a front, and we are afraid to admit when we are wrong or when we can't do something, we constantly make excuses instead of just being honest and admitting that we aren't 'superhumans.'

From this I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that it is okay to fail, and it is okay to not always win.  We talked about this again in my yoga class today.  Accepting that you don't have to win every time, and that yoga, and LIFE, is not a competition.  We also talked about how you should not feel guilty for taking time for yourself.  We so often do this! We feel guilty when we take time to relax, or sit in silence, or meditate, but there is not reason to feel guilty. Why shouldn't someone be able to enjoy the "sweetness of doing nothing," dolce far niente?

Sometimes it seems like we have to be doing something all of the time, but why? Why can't we just take a little bit of time everyday to do "nothing?" To just sit in silence, to pray, to meditate, whatever it is you like to do.

I know for myself, the more I take time for myself in prayer, silence, or meditation, the more I come to know myself and the happier I am

So, "this is the part where you find out who you are."  All of life is a journey.  We can not always control what is going to happen next in the world, however we can control ourselves, and how we deal with everything in the world. Being able to have control over yourself is one of the greatest things I think a person can do.  I think that this helps everyone to find out who they truly are, because really isn't that what life is about, finding out who you are?

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment